In my other gig as editor of Kitchen Bitching, I was recently sent some samples of the new Great British Bakeware to review. Amongst the goodies parcelled prettily on my doorstep was a floral (and utterly gorgeous) muffin tray.
Now, despite being an avid baker, I’d never attempted muffins before, but after a recent trip to Costa (where I discovered their delicious lemon curd muffins), I was keen to better them. And — false modesty aside — I think I have. They’re gooey and delicious inside, and zesty, sweet and sticky on top (with an added crunch from the sugar).
The quantities may sound a little high, but if you want 12 decent sized muffins, rather than 12 teeny cupcakes, throw caution to the wind and get baking up a storm.
For the muffins
- 400g self-raising flour
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 300ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml homemade or good quality lemon curd
- Juice of half a lemon
For the sugar coating
- 60ml homemade or good quality lemon curd
- 50g golden caster sugar
Make the magic happen
- Preheat your oven to 190C, and grease and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl and mix in the golden caster sugar
- In a separate bowl, mix together yours eggs, sunflower oil, milk and vanilla extract
- Once combined, make a well in the flour and sugar mix and add a glug of the liquid mix into the centre of the well. Use a wooden spoon to stir this liquid into the surrounding flour and sugar, then continue to add the liquid a little at a time, stirring in more flour and sugar as you go. Add the fresh lemon juice and stir
- Fill your muffin cases halfway with batter, then dollop 1 tsp of lemon curd in the middle. Top up with the remaining muffin batter
- Once your muffin cases are full, place the tray in a pre heated oven on the middle shelf, being careful not to slam the door
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until risen, firm and golden, then leave the muffins to cool
- When sufficiently cooled, microwave the lemon curd on high for 1 minute until it’s all gooey and melty. Pop your sugar into a shallow bowl, then take a pasty brush (so much fun) and paint on the melted lemon curd until it covers each muffin
- Immediately dip the tops of each muffin in the sugar
- Then leave the muffins to set
- Enjoy with a cup of something hot
I took these into work today and they were an enormous hit, so I predict your popularity levels will rocket if you’re in a sharing mood.
Love Emma xx